Sunday, March 12, 2006

I definitely walked my mile (and then some) yesterday! I spent the day on retreat at a Benedictine monastery near Oklahoma City, and since the weather was just gorgeous, I spent most of the day walking the grounds and reflecting. I had never been to a monastery before, so I really had no idea what to expect, but I guess I anticipated that aside from a "welcome", I wouldn't hear another human voice all day. Boy, was I wrong. Nuns can be *quite* chatty! In my travels around, I exchanged a few words with a young man whom the sisters allowed to fish in the pond on the property. There was also another woman staying in the guest house with me, and she wrote me a nice note before I left asking for my prayers and saying she enjoyed sharing the "sacred space" with me. All in all, a very refreshing experience, and though it was a brief one, I hope to return soon. I re-gained some much needed perspective on certain events in my life from one of the spiritual directors, enjoyed a delicious kidney bean salad, participated in the community worship, and walked my socks off! Blessings to all of you!

5 comments:

Emily said...

Sounds lovely--I can't wait to go out there.

Cathy said...

Sounds so wonderful - thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

emily - it is lovely, and i'm sure you will have a restful time.

cathy - it is such a pleasure to read everyone else's walking experiences! thank you for this blog.

Anonymous said...

sounds wonderful :)

I'm a little envious truth be told (blush)

Unknown said...

That sounds great, Erin. What a special day!