Thursday, March 02, 2006

A Day Late

Yesterday, in which early morning and evening Ash Wednesday services bracketed a series of crises, was not one in which I could map out my mile of walking.

Today, however, is a new day, and I have taken good steps.

First, this morning I mapped out a route that takes .7 miles to get me to the playground at my daughter's school, with the walk home taking .3 miles. This means that even on a busy day I can drop my car at home at 2:45, walk to pick up The Princess and walk home with her. There is hardly ever a day that I can't manage to do that, since it's exactly the block of time I try to be at home (2:30 to 3:30) to check in with both kids when they come home from school.

Second, I clocked my walk at the dog park with Molly and Sam this morning. It takes just about half an hour to do one-and-a-half loops, and this includes some hills, which make it an even better walk for all of us. We took a break after the first loop, to give them a chance to play with other dogs, then did the last third.

I feel good about having two options. It makes the commitment feel realistic. I like walking outdoors because it's good to get away from screens and phones. Today I was with a friend, so I didn't have a prayerful walk, but that will happen, too.

Thank you, Cathy, for this suggestion and for making this blog.

No comments: