Thursday, April 13, 2006

Getting Up to Date

Wednesday:

Shorter walk, but spend some time watching the cattle. Tried to get a good count of the babies, but they were either romping and running or having a milk snack. My last count of 15 still stands. Got a later start than I had planned, so it was growing dark when I was at the halfway point. On my way back I heard the night songs of the barn swallows. I also watched some terns and geese fly overhead.

Time for a cup of tea.

Thursday AM:

This morning I started my walk by visiting my yard and seeing what is blooming. Some daffodils in front and back, the pink hyacinth are just bursting, and the little dutchmen britches are showing up - where are the violets? I found what my Mom called a Wild Tulip. I have been caring for that plant for three years, making sure I don't mow the leaves - it is going to bloom this year. Buds should be out by tomorow. The Magnolia is just budding out, but the dogwoods are barely showing signs of budding - they will be late this year. That took a while.

I went on down to the bicycle path and to the interstate overpass. It is a strange year - some trees are really leafing out, but others have just started to show the signs of spring - must be the effect last summer's drought. I'm headed to work for a couple of hours.

Tomorrow I want to walking at sunrise, it is so beautiful then.

No comments: